As we begin 2014 many encouraging and disturbing images are afoot. There is a current pope, Pope Francis, who seems to want to demonstrate and live the voices of the scriptures and (believe it or not) there are fewer wars and conflicts happening at the same time than in any other time in history. The United States is in the throes of self-identifying and wrestling with previously unspoken trusts and dividing thoughts. As painful as it has been, it is forcing a deep self-realization that defies our national slogans.
Pope Francis is a living example of understanding that Peace begins with the individual (no, I am not Catholic). On some level, all men seek peace and it begins with the individual. Are you ready, in this New Year, to take on the armor of Peace. It begins with the spoken word and continues into your actions towards other humans and all other living creatures. Here are a few tips to help you embody Peace:
1. At the beginning of each day, ask for Peace for yourself, your family, your community, your world.
2. Monitor your thoughts each day for non-peaceful thinking. Drop judgement by understanding that you never have the full story.
3. Refuse to be a part of conversations that promote divisiveness. Choose, instead, to speak words of hope and Peaceful expectation.
4. Smile at everyone you meet. It makes your body heal faster and sends a message of inclusiveness to others.
5. Join me at noon everyday, wherever you are in the world, and say these words – “Peace be with you, and Peace be with the World.
6. Before retiring at night, give thanks for your day of Peace. If it has not been a Peaceful day, then look for the lessons and improvements you can make as you are blessed with another day on tomorrow.
Are you willing to step into it?
“Peace be with you, and Peace be with the World.”